Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
|Black Ops < Modern Warfare 3 > Black Ops II|
|Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3|
|Developer(s)|| Sledgehammer Games|
|Platform|| Xbox 360|
|Release Date(s)||8 November 2011|
|Rating|| Mature (17+)|
|Latest Forum Posts|| |
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (also known as Call of Duty: MW3 or MW3) is an upcoming first-person shooter video game set to be released on 8th November, 2011 (which was leaked on 16th May, 2011). It will be the eighth installment in the Call of Duty series.
Sledgehammer Games will assist Infinity Ward in the development of the singleplayer, and Raven Software will develop the multiplayer. Sledgehammer is aiming for a "bug free" first outing in the Call of Duty franchise, which also sets a goal for Metacritic review scores above 95 percent.
This will be the first Call of Duty game released with multiple developers.
On 12 May, 2011, four teasers trailers (shown below) were released: America, England, France, and Germany. This could indicate possible locations for the game. The "e" in the name of each trailer is stylised as Modern Warfare's number 3.
On 23 May there was the first trailer to show gameplay (found here). Early visuals indicate the AC-130 and Black Ops-style Chopper Gunner to make a return, with weapons such as the UMP45, M4A1, AA-12 could also be seen in the trailer.
On 31 May, it was announced by Activision that Call of Duty Elite, a brand new social service for the Call of Duty community to track and compare statistics, create videos and access premium content will be integrated into Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. This does not mean however that Modern Warfare 3 is a pay-to-play game. Players who do not subscribe to this content can still play the multiplayer side of the game, on a level playing field with everyone else who has subscribed, and will still have access to Downloadable Content. Therefore Call of Duty Elite will not grant you access to any new multiplayer features such as guns, or anything of the like.
On 6 June, an E3 trailer was released on YouTube (found here) showing a campaign mission in Manhattan.
 Game Modes
A new Game Mode called Survival will be added to Modern Warfare 3. The player would have to defend themselves against wave after wave of enemies, who now also have the ability to equip weapons such as pistols and machine guns. The survival gamemode is playable across multiple different maps.
There are sixteen new multiplayer maps on the disc, all of which can be played in Survival mode as well. New map packs will be released monthly via DLC, for at least six months. Call of Duty: Elite subscribers will get them free. The Elite service costs $50 USD / year, and also gives users full access to the stat-tracking and networking website. Non-paying players will have access to certain features of the website for free.
New multiplayer features in Modern Warfare 3 include:
- Strike Packages: There are three of these (Assault, Support and Specialist), and they determine how killstreaks behave. The Assault package gives you kill streaks which get more kills, and they kills build up in the usual fashion. It is not yet known whether they will be cumulative, or whether they will not count towards the current streak. The Support package can built up 'point streaks' for getting kills and securing objectives. The rewards include armour for the entire team and a Juggernaught suit. Getting killed whilst near objectives does not result in the streak being reset. The Speacialist package allows the player to have up to six perks. Extra perks are gained though achieving point streaks, but are lost on death.
- New multiplayer mode called Team Defender
- New multiplayer mode called Kill Confirm, in which players must collect dog tags dropped by enemy players to score kills. Allies can collect the tags instead, nullifying the kill. This mode rewards players sticking together.
- New prestige shop where you can choose your rewards for prestiging
- Private matches will be much more customisable
- Heavy facebook integration
Things that have been removed from Modern Warfare 2 include:
- No game-ending Tactical Nuke killstreak
- No One Man Army perk
- No Commando Perk
- No Last Stand/Second Chance Perk
- No Secondary Shotguns
There are currently 41 confirmed weapons in Modern Warfare 3, of which 15 has not been featured in a Call of Duty title to date. New weapons are in bold.
Note: Shotguns have now been confirmed to be primary weapons. This is as per Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: Black Ops. In Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, shotguns were secondary weapons and were thought by many people to be overpowered.
 Primary Weapons
 Secondary Weapons
For the first time in a Call of Duty game, the player will be able to attach two sights to the same weapon. The scopes can fold down allowing for a close range optic such as a Red Dot Sight as well as a long range scope such as an ACOG.
"Say you're picking guys in windows out long range in Manhattan, but then kick through a door and start clearing a building...You can now fold down your magnifying scope and already have a close-range optic on your gun - so now you're engaging guys close-target without having to change weapon."
Robert Bowling on folding scopes.
 12 May
 23 May
 6 June
 9 August
 Spec Ops Survival
 8 September
 Call of Duty Elite
 Multiplayer Trailer
 External Link(s)
Related ThreadsModern Warfare 3 - News, Rumours and Speculation - last post by @ Nov 6, 2011
[::] Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Information & Details [::] - last post by @ Nov 3, 2007
Cod 4 modern warfare 2?? - last post by @ Jun 23, 2009
Where to next? Where will Black Ops II leave the next installment from Infinity Ward? The end of Modern Warfare? - last post by @ Jan 27, 2013
[Updated] [Rumour] New CoD to be a prequel for Modern Warfare + Bobby Kotick's New Years Resolution for CoD - last post by @ Jan 7, 2011